SMF Joomla Bridge
Ready to download!
Need a custom feature? Contact us!
Sites using this product
If you are looking for a solution that will allow to unite your SMF forum (version 2.0) with Joomla without modifying Joomla/SMF core files unlike other 3rd party SMF Bridges and you'd like to have the opportunity to upgrade your Joomla in future then our SMF Joomla bridge component should suit you perfectly.
CB and JomSocial support
This Joomla component gives an opportunity to perform two-way users synchronization of the systems listed below:
- Joomla administrator can transfer existing users from SMF to Joomla
- SMF new users will be added automatically to Joomla after Joomla authorization using SMF username/password.
- Joomla existing/new users are added automatically to SMF after Joomla authorization.
User synchronization works in case SMF and Joomla are located on one FTP.
Forum and site must be on the same domain(it is recommended to install your forum inside of your Joomla's folder!)
Once a user logs into Joomla site he is also logged into SMF. User should login Joomla once to become synchronized with the forum!
Once you install the bridge and forum you should go to the configuration adjustment (Components/SMF Bridge/SMF Bridge Config) where you should:
- Configure your forum detailsEnter path to your SMF forum ((path should begin with "/", e.g. "/forum" or "/smf").
- Configure Automatic User registration.If "Joomla users to SMF forum" automatic registration is enabled then new Joomla users will be registered on forum automatically after passing first Joomla authorization.If "SMF forum users to Joomla" automatic registration is enabled then SMF users who have authorized in Joomla with the same login information as on SMF forum will be registered on Joomla automatically.
If the info is entered correctly message «Path saved successfully!» will appear. Once the component is configured and mambot is installed and published the mambot will automatically "login" users to Joomla and forum if their username, email and password coincide in Joomla and forum.
A user won't be able to login to Joomla if a user with either the same username or email exists there. Users who have special characters in their username are not processed (in Joomla only (1-0 A-Z ) are allowed).
It is supposed to be single sign-on from both places, isn't it ?
It's single sign-on only from Joomla to SMF. I.e. if a user logs in Joomla, s/he will be logged in SMF. Otherway, a user won't be logged in Joomla. But you can logg in Joomla using login and password of SMF.
If I have some custom fields in SMF for user profiles and when I synchronize users from Joomla to SMF, these fields will be empty? If I afterwards, add values to these fields in SMF and then synchronize again (from Joomla to SMF) will the data in these custom fields be removed?
The users table in Joomla has less fields by default than the users table in SMF. So there's no place physically, where's possible to relocate the data from SMF to Joomla. There are components - Community Builder or JomSocial - for Joomla that you can use. It extends Joomla functional and allows to create the additional fields for users. If you use it, all data could be relocated from SMF to this component. There's the tab in the bridge configuration, where you can set what and where should be relocated.
How the synchronization works exactly if I place the users copied into SMF (Registered group by default) into their proper user groups? What happens next time when I synchronize? Will the users double?
The users won't be doubled, because there's the check on uniqueness. Just the profile fields will be updated.
There are two user synchronization modes:
- Joomla users synchronization with SMF forum. It allows to add all missing Joomla users to forum and make them active at once.
- SMF forum users synchronization with Joomla. It adds forum users to Joomla and marks them blocked. These blocked users are automatically authorized (i.e. are made active) ONLY after they login to Joomla and their login information is successfully compared with corresponding forum information by the system.
Attention! It's not recommended to unblock these users using User manager.
Please read below the description of how the bridge works and best practices to use it to avoid confusion after you subscribe.
In case you're connecting your Joomla and SMF with the bridge, WE RECOMMEND you to use a single registration. E.g. you use a registration on the site and you enable the redirect from forum registration to the site. Same applies to login.
HERE IS WHY:
a user will need to login to Joomla at least once after synchronization so that the passwords should be synched and autologin would work.
The thing is that Joomla and SMF don't store the passwords abroach. They save hash sum of passwords. Moreover, the algorithm of hash sum is various, so it's not possible to use password hash sum from Joomla in SMF or from SMF in Joomla. If you synchronize the users from Joomla to SMF, it's impossible to convert Joomla password hash sum to SMF one. So incorrect (Joomla's) hash sum is stored in SMF table.
When a user logs in Joomla and passes the check, for SMF hash sum update we use the password, which the person has entered; then it's possible to log direct in SMF. But right after the synchronization you cannot log direct in SMF.
NOTE: that makes it impossible for people to log into SMF directly or change the password in that situation.
Currently we don’t see a way to improve that, and there are several reasons for that:
- We don’t want to develop any scripts that make hacks (as it excludes the possibility of future upgrades)
- There are several web development barriers with loading scripts from remote servers