additional
Home > Forum > General discussion/Presale questions > Wish list for components > Online Memorials - Modify for Genealogy websites
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Online Memorials - Modify for Genealogy websites

Online Memorials - Modify for Genealogy websites 5 years 10 months ago #21858

I'm developing a website focused on genealogy and purchased this component for use on that site...it needs some tweaking for it to truly be useful for this purpose, however....and I think a few modifications would make the component more attractive to this market (lots of family tree and genealogy websites out there).

Here are a few suggestions:
-- On Details tab, add optional fields for Middle Name, Maiden Name, Nickname (none of these required fields); in genealogy research all of these names are important to know. While they can be added as custom fields, it would be nice if these options were integrated so they display correctly in full name locations.
-- Display full name on listing as First Middle ("Nickname") Maiden (in italics) Last Name -
Example: Rebecca Jane ("Becky") Johnson (In Italics) Smith
-- Maiden name should always be displayed in italics for married women so it is clear that it is the maiden name

-- Allow admin to determine whether date of birth and date of death should be required and allow partial dates (year only, month and year only) ... when entering obits for folks from 1800's, do not always have both the birth date and date of death or the whole date...may only have the year or Jul 1867.

-- Definitely change Funeral Date to NOT be required

-- it would be great if the Details tab could offer a series of optional fields that admin could decide to use/display and determine if each field is required. Optional fields may include: Burial Cemetery, Cemetery location, Find-a-Grave Memorial #, Find-a-Grave Memorial URL, Author of Obituary, Source for Obituary. Yes, these can be added now as custom fields, but think they would be useful to all Memorials users, not just interested in genealogy ... why not include them as long as you give the option to use or not, display or not, required or not.

Don't get me wrong, I love this component and after adding custom fields, it now does more for my purposes. But a few changes would make it more attractive to the genealogy market and possibly others.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Online Memorials - Modify for Genealogy websites 5 years 10 months ago #21864

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
  • Thank you received: 388
Hi Linda,

Thank you for your continued interest.

We don't get you wrong, honestly. We realize that customers may be a source of inspiration and ideas, so we always consider their suggestions.

Your ideas seem to be logical and could fit in perfectly, however we cannot promise that we will integrate them right away.

We'll first of all add them to the wishlist and consider. Once we get down to work on a new release, we'll see what we can implement.
JoomPlace Support Team

Re: Online Memorials - Modify for Genealogy websites 5 years 10 months ago #21948

• mithcd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This is understandable and thank you for being transparent with it. Would be nice to have this too.
Life is too short to run proprietary software.
  • Page:
Moderators: tom
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

We do our best to secure your data and to be
GDPR compliant.
However, we are not fully there yet.

With that said we'd like you to know that we use cookies.
We store user session cookie only to enable both registered and guest users to use the shopping cart.
Please note that 3rd party cookies may still be encountered on the pages with social media "share" and "like" buttons.

To ensure your privacy we have currently stopped using any analytics tools like Google Analytics.

We anonymize your IP address on the server side so your IP is not tracked by any means.

We DO NOT pass ANY of your data to 3rd parties.
We will do our best to provide maximum transparency in future if anything will change.

Also, we will store cookies to determine if you saw this message.