Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which Joomla?

Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16829

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,

This is my 1st post at the forums.

I want to create a dynamic website, which could be customized, graphics & content modified by myself.

Have no computer website experience; my question is which Joomla template should I purchase & which admin panel?

Is Drag & Drop the most user friendly?

Would I need word press too or it’s included in it?

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16837

• Alexo
Hello Mike,

First of all I need to say that Joomla and Wordpress are both CMS (content management systems) and you could build a site based on each of them, but only on one. In some cases you could use both, by its not a good style.

We can help you create a website based on Joomla. After downloading it from joomla.org (its free) and installing on your web server, you will get the admin panel where you will be able to create and manage your content.

You may want to customize default template or create/install a new one. Again we can help.

And finally you may want to add some components and modules that extend functionality. E.g. Drag & Drop is a component that makes your blocks movable as on old BBC website or Google personal page.

So could you please provide more detailed requirements via helpdesk, so we could help you?

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16840

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Alexo for all the in depth, detailed reply.

I have a website already running & paid for a year. Initially it was a fully Static with a CPanel & now has been changed to a dynamic one but does't have a back and front end CMS, just the same CPanel.

A few questions:

1. Would I have to pay after 30 day for the demo Joomla 1.7 or is it a free template/open source?

2. Again for customizations do I get charged?

3. Could you care to have a look at my present website which is partially built but running and another template & give your expert opinion about it's technical weak points & layout/icons/colors etc?

4. Neither the present website is complete, with no front or back end CMS, nor am satisfied with another template that was designed for me?

5. The Joomla demo tutorial video was a real eye opener & excellent.

6. Will I keep getting support, updates for the free Joomla 1.7 template?

7. How do I add some Flash text/ features to this Joomla website?

8. Appreciate your help & assistance big time but whats the catch with Joomla 1.7 Free template?

9. Can I download,install Joomla template & upload/overwrite it in place of the running website & keep adding features/pages, customizing it since am totally new to this web designing, plus am a senile med doc?

10. Personally would like to overwrite the present website with Joomla 1.7 & keep adding features gradually that way shall be able to have control of the site myself than asking for assistance each time.Want to learn to modify text/graphics & at the same time understand web designing & CMS features?

11. Can I install the free template on windows XP SP3 or are there any prerequirements to install it?

12. It's a medical trust website.

13. How can one change the name of the Joomla website to one I have running?

14. Lastly do I get charged for any assistance each time via help desk?

Hoping to hear from you,

Regards!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Mike.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16843

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Downloaded Joomla 1.7, unzipped it, installing Microsoft Web Matrix, how do I install 1.7, can't see any setup file in the installation folder?

Web Matrix during installation displayed 16 components, Web Platform 3.0 is taking a while during installing PHP for web matrix....is that a big file?
Thanks.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16844

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
What's the difference between JOOMPLACE & Joomla Forums forum.joomla.org/ ?

Thanks.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16848

• Alexo
Hello Mike,

First of all let me explain the difference between Joomla and JoomPlace.
Joomla.org is an opensource project and community for Joomla CMS.
JoomPlace is a vendor of components and templates for Joomla. We also provide custom work based on Joomla CMS, e.g. site development.

Joomla is free and supported by community, so there's no guarantee that you get the answer for your question.
For us (JoomPlace) - Joomla is a part of our business, so we try to react for customer request and provide support. In most cases such support should be purchased (e.g. our support packages), in other cases we could help for free (e.g. in Joomla Community or this forum).

Now your questions:

1. Joomla is a free open source CMS. Joomla templates could be both free and commercial.

2. I guess in most cases payment will be required for customization. But it depends on vendor.

3. No problem. I'll analyze the site and give you a feedback.

4. There are vast number of templates (both free and commercial) and every template could be customized.

5. Great!

6. Joomla is updated continuously, e.g. in the early 2012 Joomla 2.5 is coming. Regarding the template - if you prefer our help creating your site - of course we will provide continuous support for our work.

7. To add new features (e.g. Flash text) you could use an extension (are vast of extensions on JED) or if the task is a simple one, you could insert it in the article.

8. I guess you mean "when should I pay?" :) If you are not a developer, then you will pay on a development stage. Nevertheless you could look into the Joomla manual to make it by yourself. There are also many video tutorials that could help you understand Joomla. So it is the matter of time and your wish - will you study Joomla or pay for development. In short - Joomla is free, but if you do not know how to use it - you should pay :)

9. Absolutely, you could install Joomla and start creating content. And I guess it's best to start with this step before you require any development.

10. As a variant we could provide you initial help on installation and configuration of Joomla together with instructions on usage. Later we could provide you support, that you will be able to use on a request. For more details on that: the same support service page. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

11. I guess you now talking about installation on a local machine... Before installing a template you need to install Joomla itself. And Joomla requires a web server. If you use a Microsoft Web Matrix, it will work, but I recommend you using the same server that is used on your remote internet server. Moreover I recommend installing Joomla on a local server only for test issues, as you will need to transfer data base to a remote server, if you start to create a real content.
In short: Template will require Joomla. Joomla requires: web server (e.g. Apache or IIS) with PHP installed, data base (e.g. MySQL or postgre).

12. Is there some special requirements for medical trust website?

13. The name of the site and all other settings could be made via administrator's panel (back end).

14. Have you been charged for assistance yet? :) I guess not. We will charge only for work done. As I wrote earlier about support packages, this could be a one time payment for support credits that you can use any time you want.

If any other questions arise, feel free to contact us.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Alexo.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16851

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again Alexo for the detailed reply.

1. How do I send you the website link & web template.....email, PM?

2. I downloaded & installed Joomla 1.7, getting familiar with it watching the vid tutorial, but accidently messed up the templates after removing all modules. At the back end have 2 sites templates assigned Atomic & Beez2, am unable to assign admin template Blue stork, how do I undo it?

3. How do I upload/overwrite the Joomla template on the template running?

Hoping to hear your expert views!

Regards!

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16873

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
What is the significance of Site> Maintenance > Global Check in, Clear Cache, Purge Expired Cache?

Added a few categories but later deleted them, cannot add the same name displays an error already assigned Alias.

In Category Manager > Articles, down below Batch Process the selected categories > Select Category for move & Copy see all the categories created earlier but later trashed them, so how does one create a new category with the same name?

Lastly if a newbie like me makes a mistake how can I go back to the earlier position like windows restore points & is it possible to come back to the default Joomla 1.7 page if yes how & start over again or have to manually create backups?

Watched the demo vid & am watching webinar really nice.

Probably messed a bit as after removing the modules when reached to template manager > Styles have Blue Stork as Admin with a star(default) but not been assigned i.e. no green mark, Beez2 with a star & assigned & Atomic site not set as default i.e. no star but assigned, how does ome make a site or Admin assigned?

How can I undo all this & come to square 1 where I started or could you do it?

Would you recommend making a back up before any change since as said earlier am new to this world?

How can I add Flash in Joomla?

How do I upload Joomla site in place of the site running & writing under construction or should I upload it once it’s all done?

Thanks!

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16877

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
What is add to root in Batch Process the selected categories > Select Category for move & Copy?

In Article Manger > Articles > Batch Process the selected categories > Select Category for move & Copy see Sample date article & -BMT below it but can’t find BMT in sample data articles?

Why don't ALL the changes appear on the website once they are made, like adding categories, articles?

Can one undo all & return to the default Joomla 1.7 page?

Thanks again.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16878

• Alexo
Templates for site and admin are different

image001_2011-11-04.png

Global Check in - checks in all locked articles, so you can edit them. When someone edit an article it locks until you press Close or Save & Close.

Clear Cache, Purge Expired Cache - clears Joomla cache. Cache is used to speed up loading of the pages, as they are not generated every time, but loads from a cache.

To make a backup manually you will need to copy all files and folders and create a backup of database.
Also there are components that let you backup your data (e.g. Akeeba Backup)

Maintenance mode could be enabled in Global configuration.

I recommend backup your current site and copy Joomla there.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16879

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
I have Blue stork as admin & ca clould base as site bot default with stars as shown in your img. but none of the 2 assigned with a green right mark....how do I do that?

I have a back up of my current site but how do I copy Joomla there?

Alexo is there a way to undo all changes as posted earlier & have the Joomla 1.7 default page to start again?

The vid tutorial says a site can be made in approx 2 hours, my site has only 7 pages/categories, zipped back up varies from 1.5-6.6 MB, why cant I do it......could you help me with this, giving me headaches have spent more than 24 hours but in vane.

Thanks & apologize for bein such a pain.......do realize as posted earlier am a senile man new to web designing.

Regards!

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16880

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder

1. Ist image not assigned??

2. Have the categories but they wont appear on the site?

3. Whats Add to root & can't find BMT in Sample Data Articles?

Thanks.

Re: Which Joomla? 6 years 2 months ago #16884

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there

1. What exactly do they mean .........Category Article Menu?

2. It says in the video tutorial that creation order should be Category than Article & lastly Menu & drop down menu.

3. What if one later wants to create another menu, article or category, than how does one do that?

4. It’s a bit confusing, articles created should be related to category & category to Menu...am I correct?

5. If I purchase the kick starter kickstart2.cloudaccess.net/ which is the same as free cloud base 1.7 , is the File Photo Pro optional or not, cause it’s version is 1.5 & that of the template 1.7 wouldn’t there be a conflict?

Thanks.

Re: Which Joomla? 5 years 6 months ago #20961

• dada
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Mike. Looks like you still got those unanswered. I'm just curious on how this went for you.
If all else fail, use brute force

Re: Which Joomla? 5 years 5 months ago #21012

• Alexo
1. What exactly do they mean .........Category Article Menu?
Articles - this is your content, base element of any site
Categories used to group articles
Menu allow creation of different layouts of components. Menu item can be treated as a page of the site, because if you do not have menu item nothing will be displayed. Menu item defines what should be displayed in "content" position of template.

2. It says in the video tutorial that creation order should be Category than Article & lastly Menu & drop down menu.
The order is correct. However in general the order does not matter... You may create elements in any order. If you haven't created category before creating an article, than your article will go to Uncategorized. If you haven't created category of article before menu item creation, there's will be nothing to display on a page.

3. What if one later wants to create another menu, article or category, than how does one do that?
There's nothing special in the issue. When you create category just enter name and description if required. When creating/editing Article choose category from a list. When creating menu item - choose a layout.

4. It’s a bit confusing, articles created should be related to category & category to Menu...am I correct?
Not exactly. Articles can be related to categories, or can be uncategorized. Menu item be created for single article or a category. In general component by itself define those layouts you can create. E.g. com_content allow to create Single Article, Featured Articles, Category Blog layouts.

5. If I purchase the kick starter kickstart2.cloudaccess.net/ which is the same as free cloud base 1.7 , is the File Photo Pro optional or not, cause it’s version is 1.5 & that of the template 1.7 wouldn’t there be a conflict?
We not affiliated with CloudAccess, so we don't know what they offer with their template. As far as I understand they offer pre-installed Joomla as a service. By default Joomla could be installed on any web server that supports PHP/MySQL environment. After that any template could installed via Joomla extensions manager.
CloudAccess provide you ready environment by restrict some functionality.
  • Page:
Moderators: tom, Nal Sav
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds