additional
Home > Forum > Joomla components > Online Memorials Directory > Funeral Date Required?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Funeral Date Required?

Funeral Date Required? 6 years 3 days ago #21475

Is there anyway to make this field not required?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Funeral Date Required? 6 years 2 days ago #21481

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
  • Thank you received: 388
Hello Daniel,

To make this field not required, please take the steps mentioned below.

1) Run the file \administrator\components\com_memorials\models\forms\item.xml.
2) Find line 62, you'll see the following code snippet

field
name="date_of_funeral"
type="calendar"
required="true"
label="COM_MEMORIALS_FUNERAL_DATE"
description="" format="%Y-%m-%d"
maxlength="10"

3) Delete the required="true" code
JoomPlace Support Team

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 11 months ago #21639

I'm trying to make the "Funeral Date" field not required and followed your instructions but they do not seem to achieve the objective. First, when I went to ...components/com_memorials/models/forms there is no "items.xml" ... so went to "form.xml" and deleted the line of code as instructed. However, the field is still marked with an (*) and will not save unless the field is filled with data.

Any suggestions? I would like to provide and display the data when available but not have the field be required. I did try to change the field type on the form to "Text" but that didn't work either. It doesn't appear that changes made here have any impact on what is displayed.

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 11 months ago #21643

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hi Linda,

Please make sure that you found the correct file first.

The thing is that there are two "components" folders in Joomla.

One of them is _SITE_ROOT_/components/.... The other is _SITE_ROOT_/administrator/components. As far as I understand, you browsed the first one whereas you should have had a look at the other one.

For now I recommend first of all reinstalling the component to revert the irrelevant changes which you applied. Once done, find the correct file and modify it as advised above.
JoomPlace Support Team

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 11 months ago #21654

I think I went to the right folder...accessed it from the back end using eXtplorer. The URL is
my_domain/administrator/index.php?option=com_extplorer&tmpl=component

This is a development site hosted at cloudaccess.net

If this is not the correct folder, can you tell me how to get to the _SITE_ROOT_/administrator/components folder? It isn't going to do me any good to reinstall the component, I already reversed any changes I made.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Linda L Mahan. Reason: didn't want link identifiable to public

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 11 months ago #21659

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hi Linda,

I've specified the steps in the capture attached. I got to the destination folder using the eXtplorer component.
JoomPlace Support Team
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Maria.

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 10 months ago #21838

Maria -

I was able to find this file, and edit the lines as suggested. However, that did not change the form when a user is attempting to add a new memorial.

Additionally, when an Administrator is attempting to add the memorial from the backend, there is an error that pops up stating that the dates have to be checked before proceeding, and will not save the submission.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 10 months ago #21843

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hi Matthew,

We are sorry to have misled you. Apparently, some more changes should be applied to make it work as expected.

We have this suggestion in our wishlist and are likely to implement it in a future release.

If you could wait for us to do it, we would really appreciate it. I'll put you on the waiting list.

Thank you.
JoomPlace Support Team
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matthew A. Stopard

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 10 months ago #21850

That would be wonderful, and yes, I can wait.

Just as a suggestion, being able to modify all of those entries to make it a unique form would be perfect, not just being able to make the entries not required, but being able to change the name of each, or not have them show up at all if they are not needed.

Perhaps an integration of the 'main entries' and the 'custom fields' to make it one form to fill out would give us the best of both worlds.

Thanks again!

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 10 months ago #21860

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your patience and suggestion.

In fact, these ideas are already there).

To change the name of entries, find the file en-GB.com_memorials.ini in the directory SITE_ROOT\language\en-GB\, change whatever is needed and save the changes.

Custom fields are to be found in a separate section Custom Fields in the admin area (Components - Memorials). In the component menu you will also find the settings section which allows you to show/hide some fields as well as set up the extension as needed.
JoomPlace Support Team

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 7 months ago #22358

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hi guys,

I'm writing to inform you that funeral date is no longer required. To get the changes, please proceed to your members area and download the latest archive available there. Unpack it and install over the old one. No prior uninstall is needed.

Be sure to back up any custom changes you might have applied.
JoomPlace Support Team

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 6 months ago #22525

Is there a way for the Date of Birth and Date of Death to also be Optional? The International group using this my not have these details when they hear of a member passing. If needed, I can open up a new thread for those changes.

Re: Funeral Date Required? 5 years 6 months ago #22527

• Victoria Shenaeva
Hi, Matthew,

If you don't want to show these fields, you may set it up in the Settings section.

Kind regards.

Funeral Date Required? 5 years 2 months ago #23128

Hi, this thread is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate that the Funeral Date is now not a required field. However, if I blank out the date while entering a new obit, the date still displays as December 31, 1969 on the front end. Every now and then my client would like to be able to publish an obit that has no listing of a funeral date, for funerals that are to be private and not publicly known.

How can I stop this from happening?

Funeral Date Required? 5 years 2 months ago #23151

• Maria
  • JoomPlace Team
Hello Eli,

we have recently updated the component. Now all the fields (birth/death/funeral date) are optional. If you leave them blank, they will not be displayed on the front-end.

Kind regards.
JoomPlace Support Team
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

We do our best to secure your data and to be
GDPR compliant.
However, we are not fully there yet.

With that said we'd like you to know that we use cookies.
We store user session cookie only to enable both registered and guest users to use the shopping cart.
Please note that 3rd party cookies may still be encountered on the pages with social media "share" and "like" buttons.

To ensure your privacy we have currently stopped using any analytics tools like Google Analytics.

We anonymize your IP address on the server side so your IP is not tracked by any means.

We DO NOT pass ANY of your data to 3rd parties.
We will do our best to provide maximum transparency in future if anything will change.

Also, we will store cookies to determine if you saw this message.